• Audition for level placement in May.
• Make a one-year commitment from the start of summer training (June – May) and attend fall and winter/spring training sessions
• Enroll and participate in at least one technical dance class (ballet or jazz) throughout the year, in addition to regular training schedule.
• Study and develop in the areas of the six pillars of character designed by Character Counts! Meet the minimum requirements for training as provided later in this document.
• Participate in charitable activities throughout the year. Dancers are also encouraged to be peer leaders in the Power Dance Project at their own school or as a student assistant at another school (as peer leaders, Danceforce dancers will only need to pay $5 per session for their participation in Power Dance Project).
• Participate in 2 MANDATORY general fundraisers to offset overall company expenses. All participants MUST participate (a minimum required effort will be determined for each fundraiser). In addition, there will be opportunities for dancers to raise money for their personal accounts, which can be put toward session fees, convention fees, personal costume items, and other individual expenses). You always have the option of buying out ($50 buy-out per fundraiser) your required fundraising amount.
TRAINING & REHEARSAL SCHEDULE
The following information is a general overview. A new registration procedure will be taken place starting the 2012-2013 season. Please see below for more information. Training will include progressive dance and performance training, conditioning & strength training, education on nutrition and health, and leadership/comprehensive character education (six pillars of character).
Kidz Company TUE 4:30-6:00P
Junior Company TUE 4:30 – 6:00P & FRI 6:30-8:00P
Teen Company WED 4:00-5:30P & FRI 5:00-6:30P
Senior Company WED 5:30-7:00P & FRI 3:30-5:00P
VERY IMPORTANT: Danceforce usually meets continuously, even during a period of time that might be unscheduled according to the Park District catalog and sessions. Adhere to the current updates and schedules as they are distributed. These handouts supersede information previously printed in the catalog. You will NOT incur any additional expense for these additional dates of training.
DANCEFORCE ATTENDENCE POLICY
All Companies & Jamm Teams
Attendance is very important not only for improvement and development, but for the safety of the dancers. These new procedures will allow for more efficient and accurate documentation.
Acceptable form of advance tardy and absence notification:
- Emails to Danceforce Directors
Danceforce Hotline: (630) 783-6683
Dancers must call hotline 15 minutes before the start of the class to report day of absences or tardies. Please keep these messages short. Include dancer’s name, company, date, absence or tardy, and REASON.
2 Tardies = 1 Absence
20 Min. of Missed Class = 1 Absence
5 Absences Allowed Per Season
(Summer, Fall, Winter/Spring)
*If a dancer is asked to sit out (Failure to Register on Time, Injury, Tardiness, Etc.,), they will be required to take notes (Technique Improvement, Choreography Notes), and will be asked to turn it in at the end of class.
NOTE: Sitting out due to failure to register will result in an absence.
If more than 5 absences occur in any season, dancer will not be allowed to participate at the respective performances:
Summer: Summer’s Last Blast
Fall: Annual Danceforce Concert
Spring: May Concert Danceforce Dances
* Failure to meet attendance requirements for technical classes may also effect participation in May Concert Series.
** Jamm Team Dancers: If more than 5 absences occur in any season, Jamm Team Dancers will be asked to move back to Company and will no longer be a member of Jamm Team effective until next Danceforce Tryout.
NOTE: If more than 5 absences are met in one season, a dancer & parent may petition for reconsideration with proper and accurate documentation (this is only for EXTREME cases that are out of your control- sickness, injury, mandatory school related function, etc). Review will be based upon reasoning for absences and frequency. Contact Aileen Puzon or Katrina Amante to initiate.
Registration will take place at the MANDATORY PARENT ORIENTATION held after placement auditions at a given date. All members choosing to accept their acceptance into the Danceforce company are required to come to the meeting to register for Danceforce training, required technical class, and any other dance classes your dancer decides to take. Please note that you must choose a technical discipline to commit to for the entire year, but are more than welcome to take any additional classes. Any additional class beyond your dancer’s requirement must be registered separately for each session.
Each participant/parent will use their household account (through the Bolingbrook Park District) to deposit funds needed for the program (dance shoes, jazz pants, tights, etc.) and have expenses deducted. You will have the opportunity to fundraise during the year and money raised will be deposited to your individual household account with the park district unless the event has been deemed a “general funds” fundraiser. The Danceforce Parent Association (see parent committees) holds the revenue generated from our general fundraisers in a booster account to be used for general expenses (transportation, production fees, activity expenses, etc.). As individual costume and/or program expenses come up you will need to have the necessary funds in your park district household account by the deadline. NOTE: Individual fundraising money can be used for program session sees as well as costume/program expenses as long as it is in your account. Be sure to keep record of it, so that it is not used for other household fees by the park district.
REQUIRED COSTUME/UNIFORM ITEMS
All dancers will be ordered an official uniform shirt and concert shirt that is already included in the tuition fee for the year. Other items that each dancer are required to own (and can be ordered for you) are:
• Black jazz pants (girls), Black baggy pants (boys) - $25 girls/$30 boys
• Black jazz shoes (all) - $24
• Tan jazz shoes (girls) - $24
• Black jazz sneakers (boys) - $35
• Convertible tights (girls) - $8
A large order will be placed in the beginning of the summer training. All dancers will be sized during the first couple of weeks of summer training, and necessary items will be ordered unless advised otherwise on the official order form that will be distributed at the time of fittings. If you are a returning dancer and do not need a new pair of shoes, pants or tights you will be provided an opportunity to bring your items in for a condition check and may not need to purchase. It will be your responsibility to fill out the form and bring the items in for a check or the purchases will be made for you. If the items are ordered and you have not communicated otherwise, you will be responsible for the expense. Necessary funds MUST be in your park district accounts by the deadline or the item will not be ordered.
PLANNED ADDITIONAL EXPENSES FOR ALL DANCERS - VARIES
Various personal costume pieces, as needed if needed, for February 2013 DANCEFORCE concert (If our general fundraisers are successful, the costume expenses to the individual dancer will be less – do your part to contribute).
OPTIONAL ADDITIONAL ACTIVITY EXPENSE FOR ALL DANCERS
ALL dancers are encouraged to attend the scheduled regional dance convention in January along with the Danceforce Jamm Teams who will also compete. The regional convention is two days and dancers will take classes both days from professional choreographers from all over the United States. Cost to attend the convention can range from $190 (convention only) to $295 (convention, hotel, transportation, meals, etc.) but has proven to be a tremendous inspiration to ALL dancers. Danceforce may attend an additional regional convention later in the year or a national convention in the summer. Necessary funds would need to be in your account at least one month prior. Information will be distributed.
Our program is fortunate to have a hard-working and dedicated parent fundraising committee that organizes a series of activities through which we, as a company, raise funds for our overall expenses (GENERAL FUNDRAISERS) and you can raise money to be used specifically for your personal fees and expenses (INDIVIDUAL FUNDRAISERS). The general fundraisers are mandatory. In most cases, a minimum will be set for each event or activity that each dancer MUST do, but all dancers and families SHOULD do their best since the funds will benefit each and every dancer. Our mandatory general fundraisers are TAGGING AND COOKIE DOUGH SALES. If you choose not to participate in the minimum of any of the 2 MANDATORY GENERAL FUNDRAISERS, you will have to pay a $50 fundraiser buy-out for each fundraiser you choose not to do. If you’ve ever seen a Danceforce competition or concert, you know how extensive and beautiful the costuming and set/prop designs are, but the dancers see NONE of this expense. These types of expenses are completely paid for by our general funds, as is all bus transportation to/from events, parties and awards, etc., so all children benefit from these funds. Individual Fundraisers are optional, but highly encouraged, since the money raised will go directly into your personal account to be used for ANY and ALL Danceforce-related expenses, including session fees. Details will be provided as they become available.
Financial aid is available for qualifying households. Simply pick up a financial aid form at any of the front desks and submit if for consideration prior to the start of the 2012-2013 season.
DANCEFORCE JAMM TEAMS
Auditions for Jamm Teams will be held the weekend following Danceforce Placement Auditions. Eligibility for Jamm Team includes being a previous member of Dancefoce, attendance of audition for Company, class attendance (from the previous year), attitude, and technique capabilities. A separate audition packet with more detailed information will be provided.
JAMM TEAM - PLANNED ADDITIONAL ACTIVITY EXPENSES
Because Jamm Team is a high commitment with extra rehearsals, the fee will be higher than those members of Company. Other additional expenses may include two dance conventions/competitions (approximately $300 per dancer per regional convention; higher if a National 3-day convention is scheduled in the summer rather than the 2nd regional convention). Regional conventions will take place anytime between January and April. National convention would be in summer.
DANCEFORCE PARENT ASSOCIATION
All parents are members of the Danceforce Parent Association and are welcome to contribute their thoughts, concerns and suggestions to program affairs. Elected officers and committee heads are required to attend monthly meetings (1st Monday of every month with the exception of holidays, 6:30PM, locations vary), but ALL parents are encouraged to attend and be informed. Elections for officers and company representatives take place in the fall. Danceforce parent representatives are nominated and elected in early Fall, and DPA officers are nominated and elected shortly after.
The Danceforce has a parent association, “FORCE BEHIND THE FORCE,” that is unprecedented and admired by many other youth organizations. DPA was awarded the 2006 Character Counts award for excellence in a business/association. Multi-faceted and extremely active, these parents work throughout the Danceforce season in one or more areas that they enjoy and are willing to assist. Additionally, these committees have been the means through which the Danceforce parents discover what we dancers call, “the Danceforce family”. Be a part of the “Force behind the Force”. Sign up for one or more of these committees and discover how the parents make it all happen. This program is not possible without the efforts of effective and supportive parent committees. Committees will be able to communicate easily and post their schedules on our new website. Details will be provided to each committee.
Fundraising Committee (Plans and facilitates all fundraising activities)
Special Events Committee (Plans and facilitates a variety of activities)
Audio/Visual Committee (Alternates filming and handles all A/V aspects of all appearances)
Communications Committee (Phone trees/calls; maintains up-to-date dancer contact information)
Production Committee (Operational: organize manpower at all Danceforce events; Construction: design, build and maintain sets as needed)
Concert Program Committee (designs & creates the official concert program, to include advertising)
Costume Committee (handles all aspects of costuming the company, to include sewing, shopping, crafts, inventory, distribution and maintenance)
Character Education/Charity Committee (develops character-building activities and lessons throughout the year; chart dancers’ progress and assist in leadership development)
Danceforce Company Care Committee (addresses the internal needs, hardships, concerns of the entire dance company/families – organizes carpools, meal deliveries for serious illnesses or injuries, etc.)
PARENT COMMITMENT AND EXPECTATIONS
The involvement of parents/family members is crucial to making this program run the way that it does. Parent volunteering is MANDATORY and at least one parent should serve on a committee (listed above). In addition, at least one parent MUST volunteer for at least one of the Danceforce Concert nights and at least one of the four May Concerts. Those parents that choose NOT to volunteer will be held responsible and required to pay a monetary consequence.
DANCEFORCE PARENT ORIENTATION MEETING & REGISTRATION NIGHT - TBD
Meet the DF staff, officers and committee heads.
Find out the details of the program, and the details of all of the program changes/additions.
Website member log in procedure will also be provided or reviewed at these meetings.
Register for ALL your dancer’s classes.
PRELIMINARY SCHEDULE OF APPEARANCES & EVENTS
These are appearances known to date. Additional appearances will come up and be added to their schedule. You will have access to an on-line, members only Master Calendar for up to date information on all events.
JUNE Summer Training begins!
AUGUST Summer’s Last Blast – DEBUT PERFORMANCE OF THE NEW DANCEFORCE COMPANY
SEPTEMBER Bolingbrook’s Annual Pathways Parade - Perform with the Power Dancers
Concert Preparation Begins
OCTOBER Fall Jamboree
NOVEMBER Charitable work/Volunteer work- Project Thanksgiving
DECEMBER Possible holiday performances
Charitable work/volunteer work-Christmas
Danceforce Holiday Party
JANUARY VERY IMPORTANT MONTH OF TRAINING (Attendance must be a priority, no conflicts)
Concert Preparation resumes
FEBRUARY VERY IMPORTANT MONTH OF CONCERT PREPARATION (attendance must be a priority, no conflicts) entire month, Danceforce in full swing for concert preparation
Annual Danceforce Concert (2 weeks prior – very busy)
MARCH Bolingbrook Community Basketball Championship Half-time shows
Jamm Team intensive month – competition preparation
MAY Bolingbrook Park District’s May Concert Series
JAMM TEAM EXPECTATIONS
The Bolingbrook Park District Danceforce Jamm Team is the award-winning, nationally acclaimed division of the overall Danceforce Company. Jamm Team dancers are divided into teams based upon age as determined at tryouts. You must be at least nine years old to try out. Your age at the time of national competition may dictate the team to which a dancer is assigned.
The Jamm teams have set a very high standard of excellence and expectation, and therefore require a large commitment on the part of each individual on the team. In addition to the regularly scheduled company training and events for Danceforce, Jamm Teams perform frequently at a variety of additional events and venues. Most performances will be scheduled in advance, however, there are often performances that come up throughout the season without much notice, and these performances MUST take priority over other activities. All dance training ,rehearsals/ practices, activities, events and performances must take priority over all extra-curricular and social activities as described in detail later in this document. The Jamm team commitment is a full year from the time of Jamm team auditions to August of the following year. Failure to fulfill the entire year will result in ineligibility for Jamm team the following year, and until a full year of Danceforce company participation is completed successfully.
Dancers 9 years of age and older are eligible to audition for Jamm Teams.
Age on the date of national competition will be considered in determining what team a dancer may be selected for. Once the dancers have been selected after tryouts, birthdays and ages will be examined to see if the ages assigned to a specific team will result in the team moving from a particular competition category and force competition between teams. In this case, it may be concluded that a particular dancer must move up to an older Jamm team, if their age places them in that age group at the date of national competition. Please be prepared for this possibility before trying out.
All Jamm Team dancers are REQUIRED to have mastered technical skills as listed below, and must exhibit the highest level of showmanship and professionalism in ALL styles of dance. Skill requirements will be included in the audition process and routine. Note: placement in class levels will be determined by teachers, and may not be consistent within a team. Class training is individual, and level placement is important for the individual development of a dancer.
A Jamm Team dancer is expected to do the following:
• Participation in all conventions and competitions throughout Danceforce year. Fundraising activity specifically for Jamm team dancers to take place throughout the season to offset expenses.
• Perform more frequently and with the highest level of showmanship. Activities will include all Danceforce appearances, additional Jamm Team appearances, Elite team performances, if selected, and all required volunteer/charity work, conventions, competitions and special events.
• Take dance training and conduct very seriously. Required class(es) and company training conduct, attendance and effort should be 100% at all times. Excessive absences from training and/or classes, or conduct/attitude issues may result in loss of position on team, and placement back into Danceforce.
• Demonstrate an understanding and following of rules and expected behavior for Danceforce, dance classes and performances/events.
• Exhibit the highest standard of character. Professionalism is determined by both performance and behavior. Jamm Team dancers are expected to show good character, work ethic and teamwork AT ALL TIMES.
• Danceforce and Jamm team events/performances must be a priority above extra-curricular activities and social events; this includes sports, dance team, school plays/musicals.
• Maintain and demonstrate technical requirements, showmanship and good attitude THROUGHOUT the season. If technique, attitude or showmanship in performance is deemed lacking at any time during the current season, a dancer may lose his/her position on the team.
• Must be a team player and understand that the program, performance and best interest and reputation of the team precede the individual. Must be willing to accept decisions made by teachers and choreographers with grace and good attitude.
• Be a role model to the entire company in Danceforce training, in classes, at performances and at any events where they are representing Danceforce – effort, attitude, responsibility, punctuality, respect, dependability and care for others.
• Should be first to volunteer when needed, and be willing to lead when called upon.
• Maintain a good academic standing, and keep grades/studying up based upon the personal standards of that dancer’s school and family.
Family Commitment & Expectations
The Danceforce program and the Bolingbrook Park District provide a great deal of financial support and equipment/resources to the efforts of the Jamm teams (competition fees, costuming, sets/props, appearance transportation when necessary, additional rehearsal time when needed, etc., staff for performances and extra rehearsals, etc). For this reason, it is important that the entire family understands the commitment level, and the need for parent/family participation in activities or events necessary for the financial and overall well-being of the program their child is participating in.
• Jamm team parent volunteering is MANDATORY and at least one parent should serve on a jamm team committee. If you already serve on a company committee, you will not be expected to join a jamm team committee. Jamm team committees will consist of a fundraising sub-committee, a convention/competition committee and any other committee as a need arises during the year.
• If a fundraiser is deemed a Jamm team or convention/competition fundraiser, Jamm team parents MUST participate and will be provided with information on how and what they can do. Fundraising activities specifically for Jamm team dancers required to attend convention/competition will be mandatory for all Jamm team dancers and families.
• Jamm team parents are expected to fulfill the minimum required fundraising for each general fundraising endeavor as announced throughout the year. Participation in general fundraisers is expected, since much of the Jamm team expenses are offset by our general funds. Much like the dancers themselves, we expect the Jamm team family/parents to set the example of commitment and responsibility.
• Plan ahead for upcoming Jamm team expenses and make them a priority. Competitions and travel relating to competitions are mandatory, so funds must be in place for them. The dates and details will be provided ahead of time, so we expect households to be prepared for them. A monthly payment plan for all required conventions/competitions will be combined with payments starting in November.
DANCE TRAINING Throughout the Year (NO EXCEPTIONS)
• 2 regularly scheduled practices per week as scheduled based upon assigned team. Slightly later or earlier start/end times for a season of an extra-curricular sport will be considered, but approval will be based upon what is in the best interest of the teams during the season requested. A dancer must not become involved with an activity that is in direct conflict over an extended length of time. Consistent absences due to an extra-curricular activity will not be tolerated, and may result in loss of position on Jamm team or loss of eligibility to perform in an upcoming performance or competition.
• 1 required technical class (ballet, jazz or lyrical) each week throughout the year as scheduled and at the assigned level, as determined at the audition.
• 1 Hip Hop class (at the DF 50% discount) each week throughout the year as scheduled and at the assigned level, as determined at the audition.
• Technical and Hip Hop class attendance is mandatory and will be monitored for Jamm team requirements/expectations. Failure to comply will result in loss of position on Jamm team and/or loss of participation in May Concert Series.
Required to attend ALL rehearsals as scheduled, and required to attend additional rehearsals as they come up (preparation for Spring Concerts, special performances, etc.). This schedule will take precedence over ALL other activities participant may be involved in. Notice of unscheduled, additional rehearsals will be provided at least a week prior to the date, and must be attended unless the conflict is academic or a preplanned family vacation/commitment. Anticipate additional weekend rehearsals in January and February (preparation for competition and concert).
Being a Jamm Team member will require more costuming. Expense is always kept at a minimum, however, as costuming needs arise you will be notified and the payments MUST be in your park district household accounts by the deadline. Fundraising participation is highly encouraged to offset expenses, but the dancer will ultimately be responsible for the expense by the deadline date.
Keep in mind that Jamm team is a facet of Danceforce. All Danceforce scheduled events and activities include Jamm teams. This is an overview of what a Jamm team dancer should expect.
Junior Jamm REQUIREMENTS
Pas de bourres
Teen Jamm REQUIREMENTS
Double Pique turns
Grande Jetes (R/L/C)
Switch Leaps (R/L)
Senior Jamm REQUIREMENTS
Double Pique turns
Grand Jetes (R/L/C)
Switch Leaps (R/L/C)
• Additional skills and abilities in other styles of dance or performance (tap, stunting, breaking, etc.) will be considered.
• All dancers must have fulfilled the summer training requirements, which include company training twice a week and a technical class. (Note: attendance to both will be factored in. 5 absences per session will deem a dancer ineligible).
• Dancers that did not fulfill the summer training requirements or have more than 5 absences or excessive incident(s) of bad behavior which were documented and acknowledged will be ineligible to audition.
• Dancers returning from the 2012-2013 season must have a good record for both attitude and attendance (dancers must not have been on probation or suspended during the season, and have not exhibited negative or detrimental behavior during the season).
• Dancers who have quit Danceforce or Jamm Team before the end of their season will be ineligible for a full year, and must participate successfully in a full year of Danceforce as a company dancer before being eligible again.